Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Let's Live It

27th Anniversary Cruise Countdown

Day 11 - and counting! One day this year my dh left the house to get a cuppa java at 7-11. Many times he goes to the "landing" to pray and find solace. On his way there he called me and began to share about an unusual siting. As he passed by a church, sitting there on the steps was a lady with two dogs. He proceeded on to his destination but something inside him stirred seeing her sitting on the church steps on a hot July day. When he left to come out from the landing the lady was up and walking toward the roadway. He called me to tell me of this unusual thing because here in our neck o' the woods one doesn't see many actual homeless people. And even stranger, a lady walking with two dogs and pulling a large bag of stuff. When he called me my first response was "What do you suppose God wants you to do for her since you are so drawn to her." He hung up with "I don't know." Before hanging up one thing he shared with me was his concern for the dogs on such a hot day.

Seconds, minutes, at least 30 minutes, an hour had passed by and he had not returned home. The phone rang and he began to share with me that he had gone to the grocery store to buy her a few things. Especially on his list were water and dog food. He found her not too far from where he had last seen her on a side road near a campground. He stopped by her and began to exchange conversation. She shared with him that she had began her travels in NY and moved through PA to Virginia. He asked if she would like to use his phone to call someone; relatives or friends. She responded with "No there was no one." She showed him her sketch book and drawings of historical places she had visited. She talked of a desire to attend the 4th of July fireworks at Duke of Gloucester in Williamsburg and that eventually she wanted to make her way back to Philadelphia. She took the water and fresh fruit and a few other things. They fed the dogs and gave them water from a dog bowl my dh bought for them. Before they parted company she gave my husband a precious gift, probably the only belonging that was special to her. She dug deep down into the bag and pulled out this beautiful necklace.

I must say when he returned home and shared this story with me and showed me the necklace I figured he would give me the necklace. It was such a beautiful piece of art made with her own hands. But he surprised me. He was so impacted by this event that he wrapped the necklace around the mirror in his truck to remind him of the need to help others and to pray for the dogs and her safety in their travels.

He has not seen her since that day. The necklace is beaded with a braided heart and cross in the center. I wonder who touched whom the most!! Who was the bigger blessing? During a season of
giving its easy to find ourselves being generous but how about the rest of the year? Where is your heart in helping others?





God Uses Unusual Ways

Yesterday I did not want to walk my dog in the afternoon but he persisted with kisses and his way of letting me know "would you please walk me." As I passed by a large field I saw two pieces of hot pink and lime green plastic wrap laying on the ground. What unusual colors I thought to myself. I was going to pass on by but felt a prompting to pick them up. I shoved them in my pocket and walked on.

Coming up on a car wash area I noticed a nice book placed on the edge of a cinder block. Oh my! Someone had cleaned their car and left this wonderful book. I love books and to think someone forgot their book! I was going to pass on by but felt a prompting to pick it up. "Blood Orange" it read on the cover; um, never heard of that book or author. But I had plans for the book - its very popular right now in mixed-media art to alter books. I had wanted to do one but could not stand the thought of altering one of my books but a found one - that was different. I walked on reading the book. An interesting paragraph caught my eye in the novel. It read "Have You Seen This Little Girl? Seven year old abducted from her home..... at time she wore a pink and lime green ....." Now God was getting my attention. I walked on.

Not far from here I found a penny and placed it in my pocket. I walked on thanking God for my found penny and pondering what had happened so far. I felt myself asking what does "blood orange" look like? But I walked on.

I continued to find orange items; a color I usually don't see on my walks except lately in the leaves. I found a flattened cup with a print of an orange hand on it that read "Strength" and a card that said "Believe It or Not" and orange stuff. But I walked on, pondering it all.



I turned around to walk back home and found another penny. I began to thank God again for my found penny and a story in the Bible captured my thoughts. In 1Kings 17 Elijah is fed by ravens. I felt very impressed that the question in my spirit was "Do you trust me to feed you anyway I see fit. Will you trust Me," God was asking me.



Further in the passage Elijah goes to Zarephath, where he meets a widow down to her last meal. She had only a handful of flour and a little oil in a jug. Elijah said to her "Don't be afraid, first make something for me and then for you and your son. " Then he gives her a Word God spoke to him - "The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land."

When I finally returned home I remembered my "man droppings." So I took pictures of all my found objects. I decided to write about all this today. But during last night while two sons and I watched the "Tin Man" I shared this story with them. They laughed and said, "Well mom what do you think all this means." My youngest responded, "It's just coincidence." But you know I don't believe in coincidence.



A little blurb at the bottom of The Adventure Bible" for children I was reading from said "God's Care - God takes care of children through their parents. There are many ways you could be used by God to help someone."




What all of this has brought to the forefront for me are all the missing children in this country. Abducted ones, run aways, abused ones - ones that probably wonder "Does anyone care if I am dead or alive? Do I matter to anyone?"


P.S. - In my walk this morning I found this child's lime green toy. The pics color is off but it's lime green. What's with this?

1 comment:

Fannie said...

Meaningful post.

Somewhere a child is missing his lime green toy.