Sunday, October 28, 2007

400th Anniversary - Jamestown: Commemorated Through Quilts

My First Whole Cloth Quilt
The Colonial Piecemakers Quilt Guild, where I am a member, held its first quilt show on September 15 and 16th. 2007 marked the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, Virginia the first permanent settlement in the New World. The show was called "Jamestown: Commemorated Through Quilts". Guild members were challenged to commemorate this event by creating quilts related to Jamestown's history, and its three rich cultural heritages - Native American, English, and African American. The quilt could not be bigger than forty inches square. I created a quilt and named it "Coming Home No More". It paid tribute to Native American losses of lands and waterways. Native Americans called this continent "Turtle Island". The island silhouettes are of my home state, Virginia. This was my first whole cloth quilt and my first time using Caran d'Ache Classic Neocolor II water-soluble colour wax pastels. I appliqued the turtles on to the quilt. I dedicated my quilt to a dear quilting friend, Ruth Salzburg who lost her battle with cancer. The quilts will be on display in a special exhibit at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival XIX on February 21- 24, 2008 at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, Virginia.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog. This is a lovely quilt and I am interested that you used the Caran d'Ache crayons. I have some myself and must get them out.

Jacq said...

I love your quilt. The story behind it is wonderful. Jacq