Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Artistic License-The Mane Rock

There are many great artists that we will never see their art work. They don't even consider themselves to be artistic. Or they are so critical of themselves that they destroy their beautiful works for fear of criticism and judgment.

That is not the case of one such painter. While in Barbados last year my DH and I took a safari excursion around the island. As we entered a steep, twisting turn going up a little roadway looking right into our jeep was this rock formation on the edge of the road. It was so close you could reach out and touch it. I say "looking" because this was not just any group of rocks jutting out at you. A grand artist had painted a lion's head on the rocks. He followed the contours of the rock and highlighted certain areas of the lion. I loved the vegetation on top and how it enhanced the lion's mane.
This postcard is of the pic I took on that day. I added the yarn to accent the mane and give it a little more dimension.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't add this little side note. The greatest artist ever - The Creator of the Universe. I am fascinated that he would ask one man, Adam, to give names to all the creatures he was seeing for the first time. Wonder why he called this a "lion?"

1 comment:

Fannie said...

This is an inspiring post. I'm glad you took that photograph. Thanks for sharing.