Thursday, November 15, 2007

Saving for A Rainy Day

Once I remember coming across an old ad encouraging people to buy savings bonds during war time. I was very young and for some reason that old ad stuck in my mind. Recently, my DH and I have come across many people who have children in our children's age group struggling with their finances. It seems we have failed to convey all our wisdom on finances to our children. This is a great concern for me. Last year I took two of my sons at different times to a financial planner. I wanted them to hear from an expert money manager just where they were with their finances. The challenge was to help them see and ask: do I have a future plan, am I on track, where is my money going, am I a good steward of my money? One walked away feeling discouraged and overwhelmed; the other "got it somewhat" but still likes to be very spontaneous in his spending.

I am not sure why this topic is being discussed today. But one thing I do know is we can not expect the government to take care of all our needs. We must start today right where we are doing better to "save for that rainy day." I realize more and more every day that the principles God set in place for giving is the only foundation to be built upon. I don't want my sons on shaky ground or sinking sand. I want their investments to be "kingdom" made and their choices to be long-term eternal goals.

This little guy "Make My Day" is my piggy bank where I put all my found coins. It is very deep and not as shallow as one might think looking at it. Especially since it is not very big. But I can shake those coins right to the very bottom and back of the piggy bank and put more in when you think another coin is just not going to fit. He has been filled to the brim twice and I am working on the third time. It is a pleasure to give this money to a charity and make a small difference for someone in my part of the world.

What are you spending your life on? What are you investing in that will last beyond a lifetime?

2 comments:

Fannie said...

Very profound questions, Dove. I believe priorities change as we age. However, expressing our love and gratitude to our loved ones is something I try to do each day. Also, serving those around us in some way makes my world more complete.

Thanks for the post.

Jacq said...

What a wonderful and loving thing to do for your sons. It is such a great thing to be able to help our children to think about their future.