Monday, December 03, 2007

Beauty In Lines

27th Anniversary Cruise Countdown

Day 13 - My oldest son grew up watching Bay Watch. When he was 15 he decided he wanted to be a lifeguard. He took all the classes to be certified and applied for jobs in that field when he turned 16. It seems there are never enough lifeguards in the Summer. I was a bit concerned because of the responsibility placed on a young person life guarding. But I know prayer makes a big difference in outcomes. Many days throughout the day I would find myself praying for him while he worked at the retreat center. In his career as a lifeguard he had several saves. I am so thankful he was alert and attentive to young children in the swimming pool.

I remember watching my youngest do hand stands off the diving board. He loved pushing the limits. He has always been very agile and gifted in sports though he never was interested in anything except soccer. He loves David Beckham but then who doesn't.

The glitz and glamour of a lifeguard wore off and my oldest realized it was a long, hot day everyday. One that tired you out sitting in the sun. He realized his mind had to stay engaged in the activity going on around him. Every week there were different campers and so many at times that spotters were assigned to assist him. Some days I would stay at the pool and observe. I realized my son was very responsible, caring and tender with the children.

The ones that challenged him were his peers. He was not intimidated or fearful of them and knew his job was to make sure all swimmers were safe. Sometimes that meant asking people to leave the pool. Which he did, all in a days work!




Beauty In Lines


I went to visit a friend and take pictures of her wood shed, roosters and turkeys. I have been taking pictures for several years of industrial buildings, sheds, and animals. I want to incorporate them into a quilt someday. But for now I play by working them into small works of art through fabric postcards. The lines are so beautiful and just draw me in.
I hope by taking these pics I can get better in doing abstract


postcards. It was fascinating to watch the turkeys. One male and three females. Each of them were different colors and very entertaining. One female jumped on the mail box and observed me. I could tell she was contemplating whether she should jump on my shoulder. Thank God she decided to just watch me. Why is it in the animal kingdom the male is much more vibrant in color and more beautiful?


Here is a rooster fabric postcard I did this past summer for a "Shakespeare" theme.
He was very whimsical and very primitive. The recipient of the card had given me the yarn, so I incorporated it into his feathers and sent it back to her. She was quite delighted with the card.

2 comments:

Fannie said...

Looking at art through your eyes--photos, analysis, creation. Thanks for sharing.

Jacq said...

Your photos are very interesting, you have some good textures. Your rooster is wonderful, nice use of the yarn.