Tuesday, December 04, 2007

You - Light of My Life

27th Anniversary Cruise Countdown

Day 12 - Reminds me of the Twelve Days of Christmas and my true love gave to me....
I used to love reading Christmas books to my children. And I loved "singing" or that's what I called it, to my sons. At least when they were younger they would always ask me to keep singing. I figured it out - I thought they liked my singing - now I realize it was just a ploy to stay up longer. But I always snuggled up with them and I fell asleep.

With my youngest he would always request a back rub. He still comments on the lack of said affection. Occasionally he will come up to my bedroom, sprawl out across my bed and say, "Mom would you rub my back?" At 6'3" that is a lot of sprawling. But I would not trade those moments for anything. I am just glad at 19 he still feels he can do that if he wants to.

Light - Jesus Is The Light


This week the SaltFaith challenge is "Light." The snowflake piece was created the same way we did when we were children cutting paper-folded snowflakes. I fused it onto the black background. Then I cut out the black design centers of the snowflake and inserted a shimmery fabric in the openings to create the illusion of "light" coming through the snowflake. The muslin was painted with Neocolor II pastel wax. I love how the piece turned out. I have never attempted anything like this before. But I would like to try more.


In the smaller picture is a Christmas postcard I created from my snowflake quilt piece. I have never made a scrapbook-type postcard and I am not very good at using paper and scrapbooking items - yet. "Practice makes perfect," they say. I went into my Scrapbook program and created a template for a photo postcard. I dropped my snowflake picture into the template. I added the text "Shine, Jesus, Shine - Hallelujah" in a concave layout and printed it out on glossy Digital Photo Paper.

The package of paper was purchased at a Roses store on the Eastern Shore for a buck. Now I wished I had bought every packet they had in the store. I glued the piece onto yellow textured cardstock, then onto another purple textured cardstock. An entire packet of cardstock (over 125 pieces) was on sale at Walmart for $7.00. I thought that was a great deal.

I played around with a drinking straw and some expensive hand-dyed yarn this week. I attached the covered straw to the top of the card to add even more texture. At the very bottom I glued on three brad nails to symbolize the nails used to crucify Jesus.

For me Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus. May we all brighten up others lives during this special time of year.




8 comments:

Fannie said...

Wow, impressive piece, Dove! The Neocolor II looks terrific. Bravo.

Jacq said...

This is a very lovely piece.

Hazel said...

What a radiant piece of artwork - and finished off so well with the Shine Jesus Shine. I love the way you've achieved the lighting effect. Thanks for taking part in our Salt challenge.

morningDove said...

ladies, thank you so much for posting your comments. It gives me encouragement to keep trying the Neocolor II, something Fannie has mastered. Oh, that I could only dream of that.

Fannie said...

Wake up, Dove. You're already there. ;-D

Sarosa said...

Morning Dove, your work inspired mine! I really was not sure what I wanted to do for this challenge until I saw yours! Thank you!

Sarah

http://encouragingimpressions.blogspot.com/2007/12/salt-challenge-light.html

Gillian said...

Simply Beautiful!
what a wonderful artwork!

Scripture by Design said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us:)