Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Bridegroom

Day 16 - The Bridegroom
40 days In God's Presence

I must say this whole study at one time was very hard for me to understand. Its the story of the ten virgins and their preparing and waiting for the bridegroom to come get them. Long ago in Jewish tradition the couple was bethrothed to one another through a formal public declaration at least a year before the completion of marriage. They were considered "married" but could not consummate the marriage until the Father gave the ok to his son that the son had made everything ready for his bride. He had to have their home move-in ready.

The bride's responsibility was to prepare herself by staying pure and getting her dowry ready for her husband. The bride never knew when the husband would come and get her. But usually it occurred at night. No one knew the day or the hour except the Father. The Father was the only one who could give the seal of approval. Then the groom would steal away with his attendants, unannounced and "capture" his bride.

Well, five of the virgins became careless and lackadaisical. Their oil began to get low and at the last minute they decided to go buy more. But the hour was late and the stores were closed. The bridegroom came and only five virgins were ready to meet the bridegroom.

The question is which five will we be like when Jesus returns to get his bride? Will we be ready even in the midnight hour with our lamps full of oil. Or will we grow weary of waiting and begin to look for other things to take the place of the love of the bridegroom?

I wish some of the ways of old were honored today. The respect shown a Father was amazing. He truly was the head of the home. So much has changed since that time. Our world has gotten so far away from God's design of marriage. It makes me very sad. When my sons were being homeschooled that is one thing I taught them. The design of old for a couple to be wed. Not all the things stuck that they were taught. But one principle did for my middle son, who will be married in April. He went to his dad for permission to marry and advice. Then to her father to ask permission to marry his daughter.

All of life is a preparation for all of Eternity.

MY EXPERIMENTAL ART PIECE





well my camera and I had a fight. Of course the
machine won out.
The battery is recharging. I tried the Neocolor wax pastels on a piece of batting. I applied the colors dry, which made them very vibrant. But when I wet them with a sponge and ironed the batting much of the color disappeared. I did stamp a heart on it using the Neocolor pastels. It was to honor DeBee, a blogger doing a piece of heart art everyday. The pic will be posted later; which became Now (battery recharged).




3 comments:

So Much To See said...

Yes, it seems many people are too quick to jump into marriage. What would happen to our divorce rate if we re-adopted some of the older traditions and took more time in preparation for marriage? Good reminder for us to be prepared for Christ, too.
Sorry your camera "won." My scanner decided to "die," but it did work once intermittently, so I'm hoping to coax a few more uses out of it before I give up and buy a new one.
Thanks for your honoring my heart art! I just bought 8 more Neocolors for myself yesterday. Can't wait to play more.

morningDove said...

Hi debee: playing is so much fun. I must remember its not about being perfect the first time. whatever perfect means in my mind. thanks for sharing about your work, i will email you where my friends daughter lives when she emails me back.

morningDove said...

practicing a technique Fannie spoke of.