Monday, January 07, 2008

I'm My Worst Critic

40 days In God's Presence by Rebecca Jordan
Day 11 - The God Of Our Defense

Pride can manifest in many ways. It can be a single thought or complaint and then grow like a cancer. It puffs up with knowledge and knocks others down that challenge its thinking. It wants its name in lights and the credit for a job well done. It does not question, but challenges - it trusts no one else for answers. Jealousy calls itself "concern"-even silence can be a form of false humility and prideful spirit.

A saying from "14,000 Quips and Quotes" by E.C. McKenzie,
"As the chest swells, the brain and the heart shrink."
The Bible say that pride leads to destruction and ends in a fall. Prov. 16:18

Criticism can steal our joy or deepen it.
How do you and I handle criticism?

DORSET BUTTONS and ZENTANGLES


Here is my first attempt at making a dorset button, actually 5 attempts. None are worth posting for the FAT trade; sorry Jackie. But I did get the book you suggested from the library. It's "50 Heirloom Buttons to Make" by Nancy Nehring. After 5 unsuccessful attempts at dorset buttons I made my second zentangle; a continuous line one.
I decided to use Neocolor II Watersoluble wax pastels on them. I am also trying to learn how to use the color wheel to make my designs more pleasing to the eye. Actually zentangles are done using black pigma pens.


Do you want to guess what this is? It's a feminine pad cover zentangle. I thought it was all fiber but when I ironed over the pressing sheet it turned into plastic and stuck to my paper towel.
I used all 40 Neocolor II wax pastels on this piece. Then dampened it and ironed it covered.
Oh well, on to the next test. Drawing a zentangle is a lot of fun. I think I will work on a few more.

5 comments:

Stephanie Pettengell said...

I like the Dorset Buttons, do post them on FAT. I am nearly ready to get mine photographed and up for swap. Keep up the doodling.

Fannie said...

Interesting experiments. Thanks for sharing. I like your Dorset Buttons.

morningDove said...

Yeah, isn't that funny someone "invented" Zentangles, which are doodles. But I think I will take a new sketch book and mico pen to my friend that had a stroke and get her to begin this. just to see if it can help her with movement and brain activity.
They say it helps as therapy?!

Fannie said...

Just like you to spread hearts. I hope it will help your friend. It couldn't hurt. I went to the Zentangles website and found it informative. I may try some Zentangle sketches. Looks like fun.

Jacq said...

Your buttons and Zentangles are great and both look like they would be fun to do.