Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ugly Duckling or Beautiful Swan

Day 17 - 40 Days In God's Presence


God of Life and Death


Have you ever heard a preacher exhort the mourners at a funeral with these words "We often touch more people in our deaths than in our life time?" A sudden, tragic death of a person wakes us up to the realization of our own mortality, our need for God and His power to change our lives.


It reminds me of a wonderful, red-headed, young man finishing his first year at VMI in Lexington, VA. He had stayed there for summer school and was enjoying climbing with his buddies. As he continued to climb, without a safety harness, he grew tired and before his friends could secure him with a harness he fell to his death. He was just turning 18. What a wasted life!
He was such a joy and encouragement to so many people. When he was around he would light up a room with his exuberant zeal for life. The years have passed since his death but many still remember him. His mom sometimes wonders if others will forget him.
I don't believe his life will be forgotten. I know my family was impacted by his life here on earth. Especially one of my sons, whom he used to put on his shoulders and carry around. I will never forget his laughter, his devotion to family and a desire to fulfill his life for Christ.

If your life were a book, what would someone read in it?




TANGRAM & ZENTANGLE ART

Here is a tangram swan I sketched. The previous art page bled through with color. I wonder if I can do a folded-paper
or fabric procedure with the swan. I love how the doodle design turned out. Tangrams used: 5 triangles, 1 square and a parallelogram (I believe).

I guess math does have a purpose after all.

No comments: