Friday, January 04, 2008

Beauty - Journaling my Creative Self

Day 8 - The God Who Is With Us



The scripture focus (Genesis 39:20-21) is on Joseph being falsely accused of rape and thrown into prison. I can't imagine being falsely accused, thrown in prision and not wanting to retaliate. Nor did he try to persuade his keepers of his innocence. The "God Who Is With Us" granted Joseph favor and accomplished his release. He also elevated Joseph to second-in-command of the nation under Pharaoh. What does all this say of Joseph's character?

As I took my morning walk with my dog I noticed a large rv parked at a local motel. On the side of the vehicle was printed "One In Four" http://www.nomorerape.org/. I came home reflecting on that rv and the words "no more rape". The group of men http://www.oneinfourusa.org/ travel to college campuses and educate people about attacks against women on campuses across the country.

Don't you think it odd my Bible study was on this very thing?


Celebrate Your Creative Self - Day 1

I worked on my new art class project. A group of artists are working through Mary Todd Beam's book Celebrate Your Creative Self. The first chapter is on "Encountering The White". We were to come up with our personal symbols and our favorite acrylic paint colors. I chose orange, yellow and purple to transfer a few symbols to the illustration board. I bought a book titled Understanding Hieroglyphs-A Complete Introductory Guide by Hilary Wilson to read along with this project. I like how the illustration board turned out. I will post my work tomorrow for the class.


Beauty
I plan on journaling along with my art exploration in "Celebrating Your Creative Self." Here is the cover of my journal book. I decided to redecorate it and make it a little more personal. A poem I wrote for a poem postcard trade on FAT has been torn and placed line-by-line on the colors. The symbol in the middle is an element used in personal names "neferu" hieroglyph meaning "Beauty". I like the number 3, so I placed it on the sides once right and then reversed. And of course I used my three favorite colors: orange, purple and yellow. I have a long way to go but I like my new beginnings.

2 comments:

Cynthia (Cindy) Powell said...

What a wonderful idea to journal your travels through this amazing self exploration workshop! And to combine this workbook with another book to expand your creative ideas...You should share these with the group! You may inspire others to do the same. Cindy

So Much To See said...

Dove-
I like your hieroglyphics - especially the little owl. I like text in art, so this is a great art-writing kind of thing to study. I look forward to learning more.