Saturday, February 02, 2008

High Hills or High Heels

Day 36 - In God's Presence - The God of High Hills

Habakkuk prophesied during a hard time in Judah's existence. In Habakkuk's nation he saw injustice, pride, violence and evil. Where was God in all that? Habakkuk was having a very hard time trying to figure out why God would allow bad things to happen to Godly people.
And then I think his perspective changed! He moved to a higher hill, a different vision with eyes to see God in the midst of everything. And he wrote:

Though the fig tree may not bloom,
Nor Fruit be on the vines,
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls-
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.

The Lord is my strength; He will make my feet like hind's feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.
Habakkuk 3: 17-19

Here is today's version of that scripture for America written by Rebecca Jordan.

"Though we are hit with the world's worst famine and all the crops fail and our animals die, though Wall Street collapses, and our economy hits the blackest depression its ever known, and we lose everything, even in this, I will find joy in the Lord. I choose to be joyful."

Have you walked on any high heels lately? Ever watch a woman walk in the super high heels. Last time I went on a cruise I wanted to walk in a pair of those stilettos (steel toes for women), I believe that's what the super high heels are called. Well, I don't usually wear them, but the Brazilan women love them and there seems to be something that elongates their legs and makes you take notice of them.

I practiced walking in my newly purchased high heels around my house and you know something. I seem to walk a little taller, meaning my attitude changed. My posture changed along with my attitude.
Even stretching standing on your heels and toes makes your posture change.

My point in all this: when we stand looking and view situations differently: meaning through God's eyes, our attitude and posture changes.

So will that be high hills or high heels?? God can use whatever, whenever to get our attention.
He wants us to stand in Him and on Him and nothing else.
Now where are those high heels? I think I need another lesson on standing!! It reminds me of when I was a little girl and would sneak into my mom's wardrobe and put on her high heels and prance around the house pretending to be all grownup.

ART and BEAUTY all around us
Have you ever looked through this magazine. It is the most refreshing and inspiring magazine about living a creative life.
You can purchase it at Book-a-Million and cost $6.99 on the newstand or like me you can get a subscription and enjoy the quarterly mag all year long. This issue has a story called "Flights of Fancy" and the most beautiful, real, little winged sprite pictured. How do those photograhers do that? Truly the photographs and stories and even the advertisements are beautiful, absolutely beautiful. And there is an article titled "The Painting Pilgrimage" by Jennifer Sperry on an artist's retreat in Carmel-by-the-Sea in California. I want to go there!! And another story of "The Art of Travel" on Mari Le Glatin Keis. Oh!! You just have to buy the magazine.
It is wonderful, exhilarating and inspiring. I already said that, but I mean it. I love this magazine.

2 comments:

Jacq said...

Thank you for sharing, your magazine looks and sounds very interesting. I shall try to find an issue

Debbie McNeill said...

You sound so convincing, that I think I'll check it out.